Donate items to the library
We gratefully accept donations of tools and useful household items that you, or your friends and family no longer need. Most of our inventory is donated by our generous community who no longer require them, or are downsizing and clearing space. The great thing about donating items to the GCTL is that you don’t lose access to them, as you can always borrow them back with a library membership. We love our donors as they help us build this great community resource and for that we are truly appreciative.
We can’t take every tool, but if you would like to make a donation of tools or gear please contact us and include some details (and ideally photos) of the tools you’d like to donate and we will get back to you promptly. Alternatively you can message us through our Facebook page.
What type of items are we looking for? Whilst this is not an exhaustive list it does detail the types of items that make for a great library inventory. You may have something else in mind that you would like to donate so please reach out and make a suggestion as we are always happy to consider something new.
Hand tools of all kinds
Power tools of all kinds
Ladders – step and extension
Pressure washer / Gerni
Removalist and flatbed trolley
LED work lights
Folding saw horses
Projector and screen
Portable PA system
LED party lights
Gazebo / marquee – folding
Icebox / esky
Self inflating mat
Kayaks and canoes
Bicycle cargo trailer
Car bicycle rack
Bicycle repair stand
Dress maker mannequin
Fairy floss maker
Party catering sets, zero waste
Giant Jenga, Connect 4 or dominoes
Quoits or horse shoes
Childs play tent
Waterproof action camera
Massage table – folding
Items we can’t accept:
- High risk tools like chain saws. Bicycles with a chain and baby equipment come with some legal hurdles so we can not accept these at this stage.
- Common electrical appliances like kettles, TVs, toasters etc. We will gladly accept however those occasionally used items like food dehydrators, vacuum sealers, ice-cream or fairy floss makers. If in doubt get in touch and let’s talk.
- Board games, children’s toys, jigsaws.
- Any item in poor condition, broken, or otherwise inoperable and unsafe. Is it in good enough condition to lend to your Boss or Mum? If so then it usually passes the test to donate.
Where to take gear we can’t accept.
If we can’t accept your donation there are still better options than sending it to landfill:
- Donate or Swap with one of the many online communities, pay it forward sites on Facebook or a local charity.
- Sell it online with Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree or Ebay.
- Recycle if possible with our local council or check with Planet Ark Recycle near You.
- Get it fixed at one of our Repair Cafes! If you have equipment that’s broken, consider bringing it to one of GCTL’s Repair Cafes where we help people mend and repair.